Saturday, April 09, 2005

Last time I saw this:

(click here)

it was in the room, a few years ago. I remember Uzi got it from Stimatzky's, for 100 shekels. I'd read them all but he hadn't and was quite excited abt having all DNA nicely lumped together. I, OTH, having read them all already, was quite excited w the cover's colour, simply bcs it was gorgeous and fit the rest of the room. Which I'd redecorated and sprinkled w books, of course. Uzi was hopeless.

I once read a paper on what happens to a cat's digestion under stress. All food turns into one hard, heavy substance. I can fully understand how this could indeed be so bcs, as I turned a corner in a bookshop a while ago, I found this very book at eye level and it a) took my breath away b) formed a long-lasting lump in my throat c) dried all gastric juices d) caused my sandwich to become lodged somewhere to the right of me.

Today's not being so kind. As I was trying to make space for more books on the shelves, I came across a picture of him. He must have been abt 3 years old. Full-blown flashback once more, I remember seeing it at his parent's house and asking for a copy. It took him forever to have it done, and I'd conveniently forgotten abt it. He was the most beautiful child. You'll see, some day, when I scan them. You'll see.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 9/4/05 22:07, Blogger Udge said...

(o)

 
At 10/4/05 00:17, Blogger DeadBug said...

Thinking of you, wishing you didn't have to know that pain.

--Bugs

 
At 10/4/05 01:06, Blogger Lala said...

sorry, I've been woefully absent in your life lately. I'm so self involved it's atrocious. Will be back on the blog wagon this week.
much love and congrats on passing your exam.

 
At 10/4/05 01:44, Blogger Diana said...

I am sorry. I understand.

(respectful and sympathetic pause)

I also love The Hitchhiker "trilogy" and quote from it liberally. I miss that he is gone, too.

 
At 10/4/05 02:21, Blogger brooksba said...

Oh sweetie,

I'm sorry you have to go through this. Big, HUGE hugs are being sent to you from across the ocean. I'll give you huge hugs in less than 1 1/2 weeks.

Love,

Beth

 
At 10/4/05 05:09, Blogger CarpeDM said...

Oh, this just sucks. I'm really, really sorry about this.

Great description about the cat's digestive system and how it relates to stress. I only wish you didn't have to experience it first hand.

It's been so long since I've read the five novel trilogy. Probably at least a decade, if not longer. But I will be rereading it before the movie comes out. Or probably not, since it's pretty soon.

I second the hugging. Very soon, there will be real hugs from both Beth and I.

 
At 10/4/05 08:29, Blogger Udge said...

Oh, I missed that. I didn't know there was a fifth volume, I thought that Adams died after writing the fourth volume of the trilogy.

 
At 10/4/05 09:08, Blogger Lioness said...

- The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy (1979)
- The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (1980)
- Life, the Universe and Everything (1982)
- So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (1984)
- Mostly Harmless (1992)

And don't forget:
- Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
- The Long Dark Tea-Time of the [Where my title and my blue quote come from]
- The Salmon of Doubt: And Other Writings

Go here for Riding the Rays, very funny story (I'm told it's in The Salmon of Doubt):
http://www.douglasadams.com/dna/980707-08-a.html

 
At 11/4/05 19:29, Blogger Udge said...

The "rays" article was wonderful, thanks for the tip.

 
At 12/4/05 15:38, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi friend...
the intensity of emotions a forgotten photograph can purge out. a visual of an expression, or a background, or a clothes era you thought only your mind's eye would have remembered.

and gifts. especially when personality was put into it. so harsh.

i am so sorry for your pain. and so glad you had such love.
tess

 
At 12/4/05 16:38, Blogger Kristin said...

{{{Hugs}}}and wishing I could lessen your pain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home